Thrifty Traveler Tips is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. We only recommend products we have personally used and feel comfortable recommending to our friends and family.
I used to be one of those people who would travel and solely rely on my phone’s camera to take pictures. I didn’t realize at the time how convenient and compact a camera could be. My boyfriend got me this Fujifilm FinePix XP80 Waterproof Digital Camera right before our big trip around Europe. I can’t even begin to explain how amazing this waterproof camera is and how extremely satisfied we have been with it.
The Incredible Features of this Camera
When I first started messing around and researching the features of this camera, I was absolutely blown away!
- This is a waterproof camera up to 50 feet, Freeze proof down to 14 degrees F, Shockproof for a drop of up to 5.8 feet and dustproof. That allows you to do pretty much anything with it!
- You get 2 times digital zoom and 5 times optical zoom with this camera.
- It also has built in wifi capabilities allowing you to sync the camera with your phone to take pictures or to move pictures over from your camera to your phone with ease.
- The camera is high resolution with 16 M pixels to help lighten your photos in dark environments.
- Let’s not forget about the optical image stabilization that helps reduce the blur when you’re on the go. It also helps when you’re zoomed way in to get that close up picture.
- Its video mode shoots high definition video AND allows you to take pictures while you’re shooting the video.
- There are also different preset modes to give you the best settings in order to take a picture of that scene. For example they have micro mode for super close up pictures of bugs, underwater mode, portrait mode, and many more. Or you can choose use the SR Auto mode that automatically adjusts to your surroundings!
- It also has 360 panorama capabilities. You just point and slowly spin around keeping it as level as possible (follow the arrows) on the screen.
My favorite parts about it
So why do I love this camera so much?
- It definitely has to do with the size! It’s so compact. It fits easily into my small purse and even my boyfriend’s pocket comfortably. It also only weighs around 1 pound so it won’t be weighing you down on your adventures.
- High quality pictures are a must for me. I’m sentimental and like to remember my travels and this camera allows me to do that quite vividly!
- I love love love that it’s a waterproof camera!! You can take it anywhere! We have taken it snorkling, swimming in the ocean and in the pool, etc. with no worry of water affecting it because it has a double lock where the battery and your memory card are. IT DOES NOT float on its own so make sure you pick up one of these Foam Float Straps to wear around your wrist so it doesn’t end up at the bottom of the ocean somewhere! Don’t rely on the clip, I looped both the thick and thin pieces through there for my knot just in case it ever came unclipped.
- It’s incredibly durable. I’ve dropped it multiple times and it’s been absolutely fine. It has also been in salt water and has been fine! I simply rinse it off with regular water to make sure it doesn’t rust and it was fine.
- I can take pictures using the app! That means we can take pictures of ourselves using a selfie stick and our phone without having to ask someone to take a picture of us. It’s the perfect way to get good pictures of ourselves without having to ask someone to take one of us.
- Lastly, I love that you can transfer pictures from your camera directly to your phone using the wifi. It made it really easy for us to share pictures of our adventures while traveling without having to carry a laptop with us. I love love love this feature 🙂
So what are you waiting for?
If you’re looking for a compact, yet high quality camera, this is definitely the one for you! I absolutely love this camera and we take it on all of our trips. There’s a newer model of this waterproof camera out that you can check out too. It’s called the Fujifilm FinePix XP90. Don’t forget to share this with your family or significant other as a hint for the next birthday/holiday present!
We got ours on Amazon using their Amazon Prime function. You get FREE 2 day shipping with Amazon prime, making it super easy to get those last minute items delivered before your trip. If you’re a student, you get a FREE 6 month trial with Amazon prime. You can claim that by clicking here and using your college email to sign up. If you’re not a student, you can sign up by clicking here and you’ll get $5 when you make your first purchase on the Amazon app.
Here are some examples of what the this camera takes, all unedited!
You can see in the last two that it’s still clear even when there are moving objects or you are moving. The bird was flying through in the first one. In the second one, we were moving quite quickly in a bus yet it’s still pretty clear! That’s pretty good for a compact, waterproof camera!